Spotlight on alcohol and other drug services

A comprehensive range of alcohol and other drug (AOD) services are available for people seeking support and treatment for their substance use concerns.

Services in the North Brisbane and Moreton Bay region include face-to-face and outreach based counselling, clinical service provision, group programs, residential and non-residential treatment options. A summary of these services is provided below:

Lives Lived Well

offers counselling and case management, group programs and Methamphetamine enhanced care and relapse prevention.

Counselling and case management services are delivered from Deception Bay, Caboolture, Redcliffe and Strathpine locations with outreach into the community.

Group programs include intervention, post rehabilitation support and relapse prevention. Programs are non-residential, community based treatment for those wishing to address their substance use.

Referrals can be made to residential based treatment services.

Contact 1300 727 957, visit or email

QuIHN (Queensland Injectors Health Network)

offers counselling, medical services, outreach programs and group programs.

QuIHN provides crisis support and individual clinical counselling for people affected by substance use and related mental health or parenting and family issues. Counselling can also be provided to significant others or carers.

Group programs include facilitated open psychosocial education groups and support, skill building and education program for anyone experiencing the negative effects of drug use and mental health problems (dual diagnosis).

QuIHN can also provide referral into specialist services e.g. detoxification, rehabilitation and pharmacotherapy programs. They provide bulk-billed medical services from their general practice at Bowen Hills.

QuIHN’s alcohol and other drugs outreach program provides outpatient case management and counselling services (included limited after hours services) to those affected by alcohol and substance use concerns.

Contact 07 3620 8111 or visit

Institute of Urban Indigenous Health (IUIH)

offers counselling, case management, support and screening for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

IUIH’s counselling and case management supports the individual’s capacity to improve management of chronic disease/comorbidities exacerbated by drug and alcohol dependence. This includes cognitive behavioural interventions and social therapy for high risk individuals (e.g. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander prisoners post-release) and groups (e.g. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander youth and families) at high risk of drug or alcohol related harm.

IUIH provides routine alcohol and drug screening and brief intervention as well as outreach support before or after residential rehabilitation for high risk dependent individuals.

Phone 07 3828 3600 or visit

Brisbane Youth Service (BYS)

offers counselling, case management and medical services for homeless and at risk young people.

BYS’s counselling and care management supports young people who are homeless or at risk with mental health, drug and alcohol rehabilitation and recovery. They provide holistic intervention and treatment, including assessment, education and health information for young people contemplating change in alcohol or drug use.

BYS also provides a needle and syringe program for young people. Bulk-billed medical services provided from their general practice in Fortitude Valley and referrals are provided to in-house and external providers.

Phone 07 3620 2400 or email

Alcohol and Drug Information Service (ADIS)

Offers free, anonymous 24-hour, seven-day telephone counselling, information and referral service for anyone with concerns about their own or someone else’s use of alcohol or other drugs.

Phone 1800 177 833.

Queensland Network of Alcohol and Other Drug Agencies (QNADA) service finder

Offers search facility to target treatment type, target group, age, medication exclusions, and other accessibility criteria.


GPs and practice staff: For more information about these services, ask your Primary Care Liaison Officer for a copy of our Alcohol and Other Drug services quick guide [PDF 255KB].