Implementing the healthcare plan for older people
Safer, person-centred healthcare for older people is the main goal of an ambitious five-year plan to integrate and coordinate the health services system in Brisbane North.
The Health Care Plan for Older People who live in Brisbane North 2017-22 aims to guide how healthcare services will be provided to older people aged 65 years and over, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander persons aged 50 years and over.
The plan is joint initiative of Brisbane North PHN and Metro North Hospital and Health Service (MNHHS) and is available for download from the PHN’s website here http://bit.ly/2NPVthm.
Mark Tucker Evans, COTA Chief Executive and Chair of the Steering Committee overseeing implementation of the plan, said its success would depend upon a commitment from all healthcare providers to contribute their ideas.
“The Steering Committee recently met to discuss co-design of the plan’s implementation and how we will engage with our stakeholders throughout this process,” Mr Tucker Evans said.
“It’s critical that service providers across Brisbane North can share their ideas on achieving the directions identified in the plan,” he said.
The plan’s six strategic directions are:
• Direction 1: Older people who live in Brisbane North will receive tailored care to meet individual needs
• Direction 2: Older people are supported to stay healthy, well and independent
• Direction 3: Older people will have access to a health care system that is connected and integrated, delivering care locally wherever possible
• Direction 4: Older people in Brisbane North will receive access to high quality care in our hospital services
• Direction 5: Enhance care for older people who are vulnerable
• Direction 6: Advancing continuous improvement in older people’s care is our (the PHN and MNHHS’) priority
The PHN and Metro North HHS will be talking to stakeholders at local aged care sector events and at a future workshop. If you would like to contribute to the implementation process please contact Emma White, Sector Collaboration Lead via email@example.com.