Working with Young People with ASD and Comorbid Mental Health Issues
Hosted by Brisbane North PHN
This one day workshop for clinicians will explore the features of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in young people and address the complexity of working with an autistic young person with mental ill health.
Clinicians will be provided with information relating to screening tools, engagement and treatment strategies.
At the completion of this workshop clinicians will:
- be able to discuss how the features of ASD present uniquely in young people, including social communication, cognitive and sensory differences
- be aware of screening tools, considerations and pathways for formal assessment
- be aware of common comorbid mental health symptoms that young people with ASD experience, as well as formulate why Autistic people are at more risk of developing mental ill health
- be aware of general engagement strategies and treatment planning priorities
- understand the importance of working systemically with young people with ASD
- be aware of treatment and intervention strategies for treatment of mental ill health in young people with ASD. Intervention areas will include modifications to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, emotional regulation, Sensory Modulation and social skills.
Johanna Rouse, Coordinator - Neurodevelopmental Stream and Senior Occupational Therapist, Orygen Specialist Programs. Johanna has over 12 years experience working in public and private mental health settings. She has worked predominantly with young people and their families for the past 10 years providing both individual and group-based interventions. Johanna is experienced in the treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorders and comorbid mental health conditions such as mood, anxiety and psychotic disorders.
Other training available:
As part of the workforce development for 2020, Brisbane North PHN is also offering the following training:
To register for any of these workshops, please RSVP to Donna Stone at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 11 March 2020.
- 17 March, 2020
- 8.30 am - 5.00 pm
- Brisbane North PHN Event
- Within Brisbane North and Moreton Bay region
- Workshop or training
Brisbane North PHN
Level 2, 10 Endeavour Boulevard, North Lakes, QLD 4509