National Disability Insurance Scheme
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is the new way of providing support for Australians with disability, their families and carers.
GPs and health professionals have an important role in helping the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) to determine whether a person meets the access requirements for the NDIS.
Brisbane North PHN has launched a toolkit to support general practice to understand their role in supporting patients to access the National Disability Insurance Scheme. The toolkit provides practical information for GPs, including:
- the forms that GPs can be asked to complete and how to complete them, i.e. sample Access Request and Supporting evidence forms
- examples of how to provide evidence of the patient’s functional impact across six areas: mobility, communication, social interaction, learning, self-care and self-management
- a full list of conditions that do not require evidence under current NDIS guidelines
- referral pathways for patients so they can find out more information about the NDIS and where to go for help.
The National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) has developed a series of resources about how the NDIS connects with mainstream services such as mental health, aged care, housing and employment.
- A GP's guide to the NDIS - explains the GPs role in the NDIS, what the NDIS is and the process to apply for the NDIS
- A GP and Allied Health Professional’s guide to the NDIS - explains the GP and Allied Health Professional's role in the NDIS, how to access NDIS, how NDIS and health system fit together, children in the NDIS, examples of patient summaries, billing for NDIS appointments
- Completing the access process for the NDIS: Tips for Communicating about Psychosocial Disability - Explains the link between psychosocial symptoms, functional impact and supports
- NDIS glossary - updated February 2017
For more resources, including community resources, visit the NDIS Factsheets and publications website page.
In this section
- Aged and Community Care
- Closing the Gap
- Digital Health
- Health Workforce Innovations
- Local Positions Vacant
- Mental Health Services
- Multicultural health
- My Health for Life
- National Disability Insurance Scheme
- Palliative Care
- Pathways Program
- Referral and Patient Management
- Team Care Coordination