Mental Health Nursing in Brisbane North
Brisbane North PHN delivers clinical care coordination for people with severe and complex mental illness via the Mental Health Nursing in Brisbane North program.
Mental Health Nursing in Brisbane North
Morayfield Psychology Centre, Toowong Private Hospital and Footprints
Intensity: high intensity
Region (s): ALL
Introduction to the service provider
Morayfield Psychology Centre, Toowong Private Hospital and Footprints deliver the Mental Health Nursing in Brisbane North (MHNiB) program.
Morayfield Psychology Centre is an allied health practice offering mental health assessments and interventions for people of all ages and
therapy for individuals, couples and families.
Toowong Private Hospital is a mental healthcare facility offering individually focused inpatient, day patient, and community-based mental health treatments delivered by expert mental health practitioners and clinical staff.
Footprints is a not-for-profit organisation offering individual and therapeutic group interventions for people with disabilities, older people, their carers and families, people with mental health issues, people who are experiencing social and financial disadvantage and those at risk of homelessness or homeless persons.
Introduction to the service
The MHNiB program delivers clinical care coordination and treatment services for people with severe mental illness and complex health issues being managed by a GP or psychiatrist in primary care. Services are delivered by mental health nurses across the region via three mental health nursing hubs at Morayfield Psychology Centre, Footprints and Toowong Private Hospital.
The mental health nurses can assist the person to connect with other health professionals and service providers, liaise with the professionals involved in the person's care, actively maintain contact with the person to monitor their wellbeing and progress, provide the person with information on and assist them to manage their physical and mental health issues and to manage their medication.
Due to the high needs of this patient group, each mental health nurse has an annual caseload of 35 patients.
- the person has a diagnosed/provisionally diagnosed mental disorder which is severe in nature and related complex health needs, and
- the mental disorder significantly impacts at least two areas of social, personal and/or occupational functioning, and
- the person has, or is at risk of developing, a physical health problem, and
- the mental disorder has resulted in hospital treatment in the previous two years or there is a risk of hospitalisation within the next 12 months if clinical care by a mental health nurse is not provided, and
- the patient is expected to need ongoing treatment and management of their mental disorder over the next two years, and
- a primary care based GP or psychiatrist is the main person responsible for the person's clinical mental health care and has initiated/completed an initial mental health treatment plan.
Which provider do I refer to?
Refer to the map and list of suburbs in the services magazine (see pages 4 and 5).
If your patient resides in the Moreton Bay North sub region or one of the following additional suburbs, please fax to Morayfield Psychology Centre on 1300 933 033.
- Deception Bay
- Woody Point
If your patient resides in the Pine Rivers or Brisbane North sub regions or one of the following additional suburbs, please fax to Footprints on 1300 027 319.
- Mango Hill
- Murrumba Downs
- North Lakes
If your patient resides in the Brisbane West or Brisbane Inner City sub regions, please fax to Toowong Private Hospital on 1300 103 458.
In this section
- Aged and Community Care
- Closing the Gap
- Digital Health
- Health Data
- Health Workforce Innovations
- Local Positions Vacant
- Mental Health Services
- Multicultural health
- My Health for Life
- National Disability Insurance Scheme
- Palliative Care
- Pathways Program
- Referral and Patient Management
- Service Navigator
- Team Care Coordination